Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Festina Lente

"Make haste slowly," was one of Caesar's favorite sayings. But what does it really mean? It has caught my eye in the last few weeks as I've started working in my Latin class. So far, it means that I should let my life continue and make progress towards better things, but that I need to enjoy the ride.

And that is precisely what I am doing lately.

I enjoyed being home for the summer, where I spent the last leg of mourning for a "might-have-been." Honestly, I cried for half of the time that I was there because he hadn't wanted me - that he just left me after all sorts of promises to the contrary.

And that is when I met him.
I have never been happier.

My life is rapidly changing as I make progress towards new horizons - and I am enjoying the ride. This year will change a lot of things for me, but I am opening my heart and welcoming the changes. It finally feels as if hope is connecting my heart to my mind.

I was reminded this morning of a quote from "Meet Joe Black," which has triggered this hopeful post:

"I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to sing with rapture and dance like a dervish... Be deliriously happy, or at least leave yourself open to be... I know it's a cornball thing, but love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say, fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart... Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love - well, you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived... Who knows? Lightning could strike."
I think I have finally met him - and we are exquisitely happy.
Festina Lente!

No comments:

Post a Comment